Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Not Your Run-of-the-Mill Reading Experience.

I finally finished "Breaking Dawn".

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.

It's not often that a book catches my interest anymore. It's even more rare for a book to keep me captivated. I have to say that the "Twilight Saga" is the first new series to keep me entranced since Harry Potter, and the Odd Thomas books.

And this last book! I think it was very well written. If I hadn't had to go to work, I would have finished it in one 8 hour read-a-thon.

I'm glad it took me a week to read though. It made it last longer. It gave me time to think about what was going on. To process all the unexpected twists. And boy were they unexpected.

I agree with my sister-in-law, Noelle, it was a little more intense than I would expect from a YA book. But then again, I started reading "The Wheel of Time" series when I was in 7th grade. That's college level reading. So I guess it just depends on the young adult.

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't read "Breaking Dawn" yet, stop reading now.

I gotta say, I like Bella better as a vampire than I liked her as a human. She just seems to have more clarity of thought, and her priorities seem to be more in order. She annoyed me just a bit as a human.

Plus, it was fun to read about her discovering her new found "vampire powers". And her relationship with Edward was more interesting to me after her transformation as well. It was on more equal footing.

Anyways, I suppose I should go get ready for work.

I'm a little sad. Now I have to begin the search again. The search for truly well written literature.
Hopefully, it's not as hard to find as it has seemed these past few years.

2 comments:

Mr. S said...

I agree one hundred percent. It seemed to me that she was finally, genuinely mature. It took a lot of life to get her there! What did you think of Jacob's developement?

Andy Jensen said...

I did like Breaking Dawn, but I think Bella spent way too much time fantasizing about Edward and the way he looked. I totally get that it was supposed to be a romance but there were parts where it was becoming absolutely nauseating. I also thought the ending was just a little too neat and convenient. Someone from the family should have died. Aside from that - loved the book, loved the series and am looking forward to future books from Stephanie.

Don't forget that I have the Dragonlance trilogies and the Darksword trilogy. You should give them a shot.