Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In the Beginning

I have a LiveJournal, but Livejournal is kind of highschoolish. At least it seems that way to me. Perhaps that's because I used it mainly through my highschool days. At any rate, it seems a lot less mature of a medium than this particular forum.

I would lable my intentions for this blog of mine, but it seems that everytime I lable something what I want it to be, it either becomes something different entirely, or I just end up pretending it doesn't exist. So to use a phrase that seems to be popular in Hip Hop culture (though often used incorrectly) this blog "is what it is".

Life in the Martin home has been challenging lately. Stress has not been in short supply. I think the biggest stressor for me is my job. I really enjoy it, most of the time. I love to deal with customers. Helping a customer get what they need, and really taking care of them throughout the whole purchase process is really fun for me. I love it when a customer is pleased with the product, and the service they get from us. I enjoy learning about how the fitness equipment that we sell works, and how to fix it.

But the pay isn't that great, and the company organization is a wreck. I feel like more often than not I'm in "reaction mode". I'm sure my blood pressure at work is high, and I'm to young for that. For all the things I'm expected to do, I really should be getting paid more than I am. I don't mind so much, but the fact that my wife and I are expecting makes me focus a lot more on my wage.

The fact that I'm the "acting sales manager" is hard as well. It wouldn't be so bad if I had a defined roll, and a little bit of training. There are lots of things to do, and I don't even know what a lot of them are. The regular sales manager is out for the next three months, and he didn't really leave any notes. But how was he supposed to do even that with the massive amount of company disorganization. Which is one of the reasons he's taking three months off anyways!
I'm keeping my eyes open. There are good opportunities out there, even for someone who hasn't achieved a degree yet. And I plan on doing that as well. Even if I have to go to school full time while working full time. We'll try part time for a while though.

I'm excited for the potential that life has for me though. I have had a very good feeling about the way things are going in general, and I really believe they will improve to beyond even what I can imagine. As crazy as it is, life is amazing.

1 comment:

Andy Jensen said...

You're absolutely right, Adam! Life is AMAZING!!! Keep your faith and belief high and you will see just how amazing it will be.

I think you may have an opportunity here with the sales manager being out for three months. If everything is as disorganized as you say it is, figure out how you can make it better and present your solutions to management with hard facts of how that will improve the company.

When you add value to the company, you end up in a position where you can ask them to add a little more value to your paycheck. If they decline, you take your experience and your ideas to a competitor and apply for a better paying position because you now have proof of what you can do.