Friday, June 27, 2008

Burned by the Sun

My friend has a car that is the exact same make, model, and color as mine. The only difference is, mine runs, and his has a blown motor. So yesterday, I spent the day swapping parts from his car to mine. A couple of doors, the trunk lid, some interior cosmetic pieces. We even tried to switch out the cluster on the dash because my speedometer doesn't work. That was a failed endeavor, apparantly Pontiac puts some kind of security feature in the cluster that makes it only work for its original car.

Anyways, I spent the whole day out in the sun. Needless to say, I am now sufficiently burned. The back of my neck, and one side of my face have a nice reddish color to them. My arms aren't too bad.

Car's are a pain in the butt. I thought my experience working on fitness equipment would make working on my car a piece of cake. Not so! Car's are a hundred times harder! Ok, maybe not a hundred. But they are deffinately harder. We spent a good 5 hours on that darn thing, and there is still work to be done. We're not even doing anything that involved! I hate to think what working on the motor is like!

We got the doors swapped, which is good, since my drivers side window didn't roll down, and the rear drivers side wing window was broken out. But when we hooked the wiring back up, the door locks didn't work. We still have yet to figure that one out...

One day when I'm rich, I'm going to buy brand new cars, and pay for some one else to maintain them! I now know that being a car mechanic is not my dream job.

It's just me all alone at the shop today again. Every one else is in Lewiston doing a major delivery and set up job. They've been there since yesterday. This is one of our biggest deals yet. Its like a two hundered and fifty thousand dollar sale to a gym that is opening up there. Fitness clubs have been opening up like crazy in these past few years. It seems that people have fitness on the brain.

That's another reason why I think this company really could do well. Fitness clubs have to have their suppliers. And with more and more people focusing on their health these days, there is deffinately room for some good growth in this industry.

I think the biggest challenge for our company is that we are a small business, and have a hard time getting our name out there. Advertizing on the radio or the tv is expensive, as are billboards and ads in the newspaper. We're kind of located in the armpit of Kennewick in a run down little location.
I was thinking a little bit on how to get our name out there better. I'm sure there are so many opportunities out there that cost little or no money, like displaying our product at Numerica CU. I didn't even know that things like that were out there as an option for us. Andy's idea about sponsoring sporting/fitness events is one I also wouldn't have thought about. An idea I had today was getting us more involved in health and fitness education by setting up a free community class about staying in shape, how to exercise, how to eat healthy, etc. Since we are so closely connected with Club 24, we could hold the classes there, or here at our little shop. I think that would be a really good idea.

As for advertizing, there's always flyers on people's cars! Word of mouth is working ok, we just need more mouths spreading the word.

Anyways, lunch is over (a while ago...) so I should go be usefull!

2 comments:

Mrs. Martin said...

hee hee you looked like you fell asleep in the sun on your side! I bet you could get word out about the shop by doing a little research on diffrent advertising techniques! - your posts are long!
Love you -

Andy Jensen said...

Doing fitness clinics in conjunction with Club 24 is a great idea. In fact, you could make it a 3-way win if you contact some local fitness trainers who are not specifically affiliated with any particular gym. You guys organize it and put your name on it (you win!), Club 24 hosts it at one or more of their locations (Club 24 wins!) and the trainers you line up actually teach the clinic (trainers win!). It gets all of you some exposure.

I told you that you would get hooked by that story!